“Shrimp is the fruit of the Sea.” We have a friend who goes shrimping every year on coast of South Carolina. He always brings us back pounds of fresh, beautiful shrimp. I start to feel like Bubba from Forrest Gump looking for different ways to prepare it. We’ve made shrimp cocktail, shrimp with lemon, garlic wine sauce, shrimp po’ boys, barbecued shrimp, (Sadly, this Northern girl has yet to make shrimp and grits.) And now, this Shrimp Marsala dish. It’s simple to make and big on flavor.
After you heat the olive oil in a large frying pan, add the mushrooms, shallots, garlic, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes and cook, stirring occasionally, until everything’s nice and soft and the mushrooms have released their juices. Oh, it’s smelling good!
Turn the heat up, add the Marsala wine and bring to a boil.
Reduce the wine about 5 minutes.
Add the tomatoes, sugar and chicken broth. Cook until reduced and thickened.
Turn down the heat and add the shrimp.
Cook the shrimp until they’re pink, flipping to cook both sides. Are you drooling yet?! You’re almost done.
Remove the pan from the heat so the shrimp don’t overcook and pour in the heavy cream. Stir it around so everything’s nice and coated.
Serve over a bowl of rigatoni.
Add some grated parmesan and dig in!!
- 02 Tablespoons olive oil
- ½ lb. mushrooms, sliced
- 02 shallots, minced
- 03 cloves of garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ¾ Cups Marsala wine
- 01 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 01 Cup chicken broth
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 01 lb. shrimp, peeled and deveined
- ⅔ Cup heavy cream
- 01 lb. rigatoni
- grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat olive oil over medium high heat in a large frying pan.
- Add mushrooms, shallots, garlic, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes and cook until soft, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Increase heat slightly, add Marsala wine and bring to a boil until reduced 3 – 5 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, sugar and chicken broth and reduce until it thickens slightly, another 5 minutes or so.
- Lower the heat to medium, add shrimp and cook about 3 – 5 minutes, flipping shrimp so they cook evenly. Do not overcook!
- Remove pan from the heat and stir in heavy cream.
- Serve over rigatoni and garnish with grated Parmesan cheese.