When my first daughter was a toddler, we lived on a 13 acre farm in the middle of Michigan. Every week day we would drive 60 miles in to town where I worked and she went to daycare. My mother-in-law would pick my daughter up from daycare at the end of the work day and take her to her house, where I would pick her up after work. Since we had such a long drive home, my in-laws would always feed us dinner first. I admired the way they would make dinner together each night, cooking up healthy, tasty meals. I was never a big bean lover, but when they made this dish, I loved it so much, I just had to have the recipe. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do.
Dice the onions and peppers.
Heat the olive oil in a 12 inch skillet. Add the onions and peppers. Season with salt and pepper. Sautee until soft, about five minutes.
Add the beans, tomatoes, water and barbecue sauce and stir to combine.
Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 15 minutes.
Turn off the heat, and stir in the rice.
Add some grated Parmesan cheese to make it extra tasty!
Skillet Beans and Rice
- 02 Tablespoons olive oil
- 01 red pepper
- 01 green pepper
- 01 Vidalia onion
- kosher salt
- freshly ground pepper
- 01 can Cannellini beans
- 01 can Garbanzo beans
- 01 can black beans
- 01 14 ounce can of diced tomatoes
- 01 C water
- ¼ C Bullseye barbecue sauce
- 01 C white rice, cooked
- Drain and rinse the beans.
- Dice the onions and peppers.
- Heat the olive oil in a 12 inch skillet.
- Add the onions and peppers to the skillet.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Sautee vegetables until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add beans, tomatoes, water and barbecue sauce and stir to combine.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat, stir in cooked rice.
- Sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese, if desired.