This is a family favorite recipe handed down from my first mother-in-law – the woman responsible for teaching me how to cook.
My 11 year old son, Landon, is a very picky eater. He won’t touch boxed mac and cheese, but he begs me to make this all the time. Tonight he actually ate four helpings!
This recipe is simple to put together, creamy and crunchy and even better warmed up the next day.
Cook and drain the macaroni and place in a large, oven-proof dish. I always use my 4.5 quart Pyrex bowl so I can mix everything together and just throw it into the oven… again, saves on dirty dishes.
Cube the butter and mix it into the macaroni until everything is coated.
Sprinkle with enough flour to cover the top and stir until macaroni is coated.
Stir in the cheese and sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper.
Pour in enough milk to just cover.
I actually like to pour in a little less milk so when it bakes, it creates a nice crunchy layer on top.
Bake at 350 degrees for 01 hour until the top is golden.
Serve and enjoy.
Baked Macaroni and Cheese
- 04 Cups Macaroni
- 03 Tablespoons butter, cut into cubes
- 01 pound shredded sharp cheddar
- kosher salt
- freshly ground pepper
- Cook macaroni and drain.
- Place macaroni in a large, oven proof dish.
- Add butter and mix to coat macaroni.
- Sprinkle with enough flour to cover macaroni and stir until coated.
- Stir in cheese.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Pour in milk to barely cover macaroni.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 01 hour.