Macaroni salad… the perfect picnic, barbecue and pot luck side dish. We all grew up eating Mom’s famous recipe. Sadly, my mom’s recipe disappeared over the years, leaving me to create my own.
What I have made is very similar to hers, using both Miracle Whip and real mayonnaise, a bit of sugar and hard boiled eggs, but I’ve added some of my favorite ingredients like cheddar and swiss cheese and baby gherkin pickles to bump this salad up to a “supreme” version.
You can really add so many other things to this to make it your own… green olives, cubes of ham, even avocado or bacon. Just remember, the trick is to let everything refrigerate for a few hours to over night to let the flavors meld and intensify!
Macaroni Salad Supeme
- 01 Cup mayonnaise
- ½ Cup Miracle Whip
- ¼ Cup milk
- 01 teaspoon stone ground mustard
- 01 Tablespoon gherkin pickle juice
- 01 Tablespoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon celery salt
- 08 oz. macaroni, cooked
- 01 stalk of celery, finely chopped
- ½ small onion, finely diced
- ½ Cup frozen peas, defrosted
- 04 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, cubed
- 04 ounces Swiss cheese, cubed
- ¼ Cup sweet gherkins, sliced thin
- 03 hard boiled eggs, chopped
- paprika to garnish
- In a large bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, Miracle Whip, milk, mustard, pickle juice, sugar, salt, pepper and celery salt
- Add salad ingredients to the dressing and stir to combine.
- Sprinkle with paprika to garnish, if desired.
- Refrigerate for 03 hours to overnight before serving.
The longer you let the salad refrigerate before serving, the more the flavors will incorporate and the better it will taste!